JFFA’s annual Memorial Day Weekend Festival along with its Season Concerts are fun and enriching for families and people of all ages. In addition, JFFA provides special programs that foster an appreciation of the arts in the hearts and minds of the young people of the North Olympic Peninsula.
Richard Stephens wrote, directed and performed in “Treasure Island at several local elementary schools, delighting audiences with this classic pirate tale.
Juan de Fuca Discovery Arts Camp – “Pandora’s Box”
Located at Jefferson Elementary School, JFFA will be offering its week-long summer day camp again in 2018 (July 30 to August 3) for ages 7 to 12). Once again It will focus on drama, creative movement, and visual arts and music. Parents, dropping off the kids for three and a half hours in the morning five days in a row, will enjoy a much-needed break while school is out!
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO
Youth Day at the Juan de Fuca Festival
Each year, virtually the entire Port Angeles student body visits the Port Angeles High School Performing Arts Center for our annual youth program during the Festival’s opening day. Featuring some of the top artists from our Festival, this amazing event is one of the highlights of the year for our young people. Three different shows allow us to accommodate well over 3,000 students.
2018’s program features Royal Jelly Jive and Christian Swenson. Royal Jelly Jive is a Soul, Rock, Swing and Hip Hop from San Francisco while Christian Swenson is an expert in dance, mime and improvisation.
In past years we have featured:
- 2017 – Global Heat (Funk/Hiphop) and Cirque Love (one man juggler/cabaret)
- 2016 – Los Pinguos, from Argentina and physical comedian, Henrik Bothe.
- 2015 – The Everyone Orchestra, a rock orchestra with conductor and audience participation and A Little Bit Off, a clown duo.
- 2014 – The Paperboys: Celtic Rock band from Vancouver BC and Zili Misik, the multi-cultural and all-female band from Boston, Massachusetts.
- 2013 – Sierra Leone’s Refugee All Stars brought their stories as surviving refugees and their music of hope. Physical Comedian Henrik Bothe also performed.
- 2012 – Baka Beyond brought the culture & music of the Cameroon pygmy tribe. The multi-cultural and the all-female Zili Misik also played.
- 2011 – Rhys Thomas – Jugglemania, physics through circus acts, and Kazum, an acrobalance circus troupe.
The Everyone Orchestra
Theatre in the Schools
JFFA has been a proud sponsor and organizer of bringing a quality theater programs to Port Angeles and Sequim schools each year. The February 2017 production was Treasure Island. The adventurous produced was presented at Grey Wolf School in Sequim and Hamilton, Jefferson, Dry Creek and Franklin in Port Angeles.
The Juan de Fuca Festival also schedules Master Classes with visiting artists when the opportunity arises. Previous programs have included workshops with the Eugene Ballet Company, Ballet Victoria, the African group H’sao, the taiko group, On Ensemble, the fiddle group Everything Fitz, Northwest Ballet Theater, LED Dance Troupe, Utah’s Repertory Dance Theater and others. Children’s programs are also scheduled during our annual Festival.
Carol Pope is the Education Outreach Coordinator. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.